It is obvious that married couples are becoming a minority in the population and according to these statistics analyzed by one of my favorite authors Maggie Gallagher in this article.
From the NCR article:
WASHINGTON — If the decline in marriage is to be reversed, the Church, families and society must do a better job educating children about its value.
That’s the message noted marriage and family experts have in response to a recently released survey showing the percentage of married couples in the U.S. has dipped below 50% for the first time.
According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, 49.7% of U.S. households in 2005 were married-couple families. This is a half-percentage point less than the 50.2% of married-couple families reported in 2004.
“The marriage rate has gone down about half since 1960. The proportion of households that are married has declined from 76% in 1957 to below 50% now. The number of non-family households has climbed,” said Allan Carlson, president of the Howard Center for Family, Religion, and Society. “These are massive changes, and marriage as an institution is in decline.”
I have noticed this trend even amongst traditional Catholics, I am very sorry to say.
From reading blogs and meeting Catholic men I have come up with the Top Ten Reasons Traditional Catholic Men Say They Cannot Marry. See if you agree with any of them.
Traditional Catholic men today:
10. Can't find a young lady who will only wear skirts
9. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by travel.
8. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by attending college.
7. Can't find a young lady who will use NFP.
6. Can't find a young lady who will NOT use NFP.
5. Can't find a young lady whose father will pay a handsome dowry.
4. Can't find a young lady who is the epitome of the Blessed Mother and Barbie.
(if you are under 30 substitute Brittany Spears for Barbie)
3. Can't find a young lady who will homeschool the children.
2. Can't find a young lady who will NOT homeschool the children.
And the number one reason that Traditional Catholic men do not marry is that
1. They are really Bon Vivant Libertines.