Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Daring Book for Girls


Available at Amazon.

[And Amazon is having an awesome sale right now- though the list price for this book is $24.95 it is on sale for $14.97]

Just in time for Christmas a companion book for The Dangerous Book for Boys has been released. Paging through the chapters it has so much to offer for girls of any age. I believe it is recommended for girls 12-14 but that didn't stop my 16 and 17 year old daughters bringing it up to their rooms to begin the feast on all that it had to offer.

Some of the chapters include:

Pressing Flowers, Princesses Today, Jump Rope- Double Dutch and Chinese, How to Tie a Sari, Queens of the Ancient World, Joan of Arc, Explorers, Words to Impress, Peach Pit Rings, Make your own Paper and Books that Will Change Your Life.

If you are like me you want your daughters to be curious about things, familiar and exotic, cultured, capable and well informed. This book presents so much interesting information in an approachable format. A must have for sleepovers. The girls may even forget to turn on the TV.

When my sons received their copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys they stayed up until 4am reading it. And the next day they headed out to the woods to try some squirrel hunting. Thankfully the squirrels outwitted them.

But this is the kind of book that inspires action, involvement and interest in the real world. It is such a welcome alternative to electronic entertainment. It's a great book to read with your daughter and you find that you will get to know her a little bit better.

I do want to mention that as a mother doing this review for MotherTalk that I understand that some objections have been raised to a few of the chapters- specifically the chapers on Palm Reading, a discussion of Levitation- remember "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board"? From my perspective the two pages on Palm Reading acknowledge that the "reader" uses psychology and observation to draw conclusions about the person. I didn't find it of concern. The section of levitation actually began with a discussion on saints that levitated like St Edmund, St Joseph of Cupertino, St. Gemma Galgani and others. Again, I did not see any occultic indications but I do want to make any mothers who may have a concern about this book aware of it.

I enjoy having this book in our home and look forward to paging through its treasures with my now 2 year old daughter in just a few short years. For Christmas it's a gift you can enjoy with your children.

2 comments:

Thomas Coolberth said...

When my sons received their copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys they stayed up until 4am reading it. And the next day they headed out to the woods to try some squirrel hunting. Thankfully the squirrels outwitted them.

And I was going to compliment you on your civil defense/world natural disaster preparedness training of your young men in the skills of hunting/foraging.

Even the squirrels know that they are protein of a last resort.

deb said...

My children enjoyed The Dangerous Book for Boys and I can't wait to get them A Daring Book For Girls.