Thursday, December 06, 2007

Novena Abuse



Saint Andrew Christmas Novena

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment in which the Son of God was born of the most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight, in Bethlehem, in piercing cold. In that hour, vouchsafe, O my God! to hear my prayer and grant my desires, through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.

It has come to my attention that in the past some members of my family made this novena with very questionable intentions. I understand that one son prayed fervently for the intention of being able to fly. (not in an airplane)

Another son had the intention that our family would get ATVs or dirt bikes. Unfortunately that intention came true through the activity of a very indulgent parent. Ahem.

The third intention that has caused me some concern is currently being prayed that:

"Aunt XXX will get married to a cute guy who really likes us and has 2 dirt bikes that he will let us use."

I think I have some work to do- if it's not already too late.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has your son seen this?

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flyingbasejump

No kidding. That novena really works.

Sanctus Belle said...

LOL! Now this post I can relate to. Thanks for sharing the human side of your family! My kids often pray for intentions like "I hope we have a good time on this vacation" or other such things. We often ask them to add to it such things and "and perhaps for the salvation of souls?" We have to remember they are CHILDREN afterall! :)

bethalice said...

LOL! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

In my few years, I've known only a few men concerned with dirt bikes, and I say you should be glad the kids pray for them at all. Who knows? Maybe Saint Andrew really did make it easier to get the dirt bike.

Anonymous said...

The real concern is that thye didn't mention wealthy. . .

The Crescat said...

so my novena to win the lottery is probably in vain then? ;-)

Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

I want to know WHICH AUNT?!?!

Its gotta be Jess!

Rebecca said...

My thoughts exactly, Jamie!!!!!! ROFL!!!!

Anonymous said...

(snicker!) My children would never pray for such things! HA! ;-)

Anonymous said...

You know, though, despite the fact that my children would never pray for such things (yes, this is an after thought....bear with me), I'm thinking that if your son's prayer for flying works, I might pray for invisibility. It would come in handy when I have that last piece of chocolate and I want to eat it without the kids finding me...so you have to let me know if it works, LOL! ;-)

Also, I just noticed that I can log in somehow with my wordpress account? So yeah, I'm trying that out at the same time here. When did they change it all on me, anyway? The whole "choose an identity" part is wonky...that's why I'm logged in with the above post as only Heather...I usually use my Gmail account name. ;-P

Dust I Am said...

A very good Christmas post, (although a little different than most!) Very funny and I can see some similarities because two sets of grandkids love to ride their dirt bikes.