Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Protecting Your Daughter
This weekend we were listening to the Taylor Swift Song, Picture to Burn and I was heartened by this line,
"... if you come around here saying sorry to me, my daddy's gonna show you how sorry you'll be!"
and then the chorus:
"if you're missing me,
you'd better keep it to yourself
cause coming back around here
would be bad for your health..."
and then I thought back to the part of Wendy's Shalit's first book, "A Return to Modesty" (a must read for every parent of a teenage daughter)where she quotes a paragraph from Glamour magazine, June 1998, by a young man who has his girlfriend's father drive them to a hotel, he wrote, "Prepared to trust me with his only daughter but not with his brand new Volvo, he shook the very foundations of parental propriety by offering to drive us to the hotel."
Then I guess it's not surprising that Drudge has a developing story about the fact that 25% of all teenage girls have a sexually transmitted disease.
And it seems like parents have abandoned any thought of protecting their teenage daughters. Because I guess it's not cool. And you definitely won't be a yummy mummy if you try to stand in the way of what your teenagers want, or you think they want.
And why don't I live in Victorian times?
If I had to give ten reasons why a teenage girl should not become sexually active I would start by saying
1. It's a mortal sin. And you will go to hell. Now I know this only applies to those of use who still believe in sin, self control and hell. We are a small but stubborn group.
2. Don't let yourself be taken advantage of by someone who does not care about you. Because if he did care about you he would marry you first. Like the chapter in Josh Harris' book, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye"- "ready for the sack but not for the sacrament".
3. Don't open yourself up to disease
4. Don't open yourself up to heartbreak
5. Enjoy the protection of propriety. You likely will not see it modeled among your peers but you have read Jane Austen so you know what it's all about.
6. Don't have a child when you are still a child. 50% of women who attempt abortion were using birth control at the time of conception. This is Planned Parenthood's own statistic. If you have sex you will have a baby, eventually.
7. Don't put yourself in the painful position of giving a child up for adoption
8. Don't distract yourself from your education
9. Don't miss the fun of being young, being carefree and a having a pure courtship
10. Believe that you are special and should save yourself for someone who is deserving of you. Your future husband.